Take the Online GED Test
Take the Online GED Test
This video breaks down all of the key information you'll need to start testing online.
What’s Needed to Take the Online GED Test
Computer, Webcam, Internet
You need a computer with webcam and reliable internet. Run a system test to make sure your computer meets the requirements.
The room should have four walls, a closed door and no distractions.
We will verify your government-issued ID when you check-in for your test.
‘Green’ GED Ready Score
You must take a GED Ready practice test and score ‘green’ within the last 60 days for each subject in which you want to test online.
How the Online GED Test Works
Perform a system test to make sure your computer, webcam and internet connection meet the requirements for testing online.
Schedule your online test within 60 days of scoring ‘green’ on a GED Ready practice test.
Log in to GED.com 30 minutes before your test appointment to launch your test.
Follow the on-screen steps to check-in for your test including verifying your system, I.D. and workspace.
Take your test while an online proctor monitors you just like they do at a test center.
States that Offer Online GED Testing
Online GED Exam Rules
- Cheating is strictly prohibited
- You consent to being videotaped and recorded
- You must be in a private, walled room with a closed door
- No one else is permitted in the room once your exam has started, for any reason
- You may not leave your work area for any reason
- You cannot use a calculator or scratch paper, take physical notes or talk
- Personal items, mobile phones, headphones and watches must be out of reach
- Food, drinks, smoking and gum are prohibited
Breaking any of these rules will result in your exam being revoked, loss of payment, and you will be banned from testing in the future.
Tools Available During the Online GED Test
- Onscreen chat with the proctor will be available, but the proctor will not answer any questions related to exam content
- Make sure you close out all other applications and complete the system test ahead of time. Poor internet connection is one of the most common technical issues during the test.
- You will not be able to use a physical calculator but will have access to an onscreen calculator during the exam. Practice with the calculator tutorial.
Onscreen Scratch Pad
- You will have access to an onscreen scratch pad to take notes and perform math calculations
- You will have access to an onscreen whiteboard so you can use your mouse to draw and write out math calculations. Access this feature anytime during your test by clicking the Whiteboard icon at the top of the screen.
- You can open and close the whiteboard and your notes will not be lost. The close button is the “x” icon located above the “Pen” tool in the top-left of the Whiteboard.
- Use the “Pen” tool to draw and write out your math problems
- Use the “Eraser” tool to erase parts of your work
- Use the left and right arrows to “undo” and “redo”
- The “Clear” button in the bottom left corner is used to erase the entire whiteboard and all your notes
- Practice using the online whiteboard
Online GED Testing FAQs
Why do I need to score green on GED Ready to schedule my online GED test?
I ran the system check on my computer and it told me that my internet connection wasn't great. Can I still go ahead and schedule my Online Proctored GED test?
Why are there so many appointment times available when I go to schedule?
How do I know if I am eligible to take the GED test online?
Take Your Online GED Test Today!